Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Jam

 As I was out grocery shopping today, I came across a deal offering strawberries for $1 a pound.  Rayelle LOVES strawberries so I grabbed a couple cartons.  They looked fine to me at the time.  But by time I got home they were soft and squishy.  But they smelt delicious!

I decided we couldn't eat them in their squishy state, so I did some web surfing to see what I could make.  That's when I came across a simple jam recipe.  I especially liked it because I didn't have to add any sugar to it.  I was shocked at how much sugar goes into regular homemade jam recipes.


What you'll need:

2 cups strawberries
1 cup cold water
1 box strawberry gelatin, sugar free

In a large saucepan mash the strawberries.  Add the cold water and gelatin and mix until blended.
Heat on medium heat until it comes to a boil, stirring constantly.  Turn heat to low and simmer 2 minutes.
Pour into jars and allow to cool.  Cover and store in refrigerator.
can be stored in fridge for 1 week.  Frozen for several weeks.



Rayelle wanted to "help mommy".  She was a pretty good stirrer too since it had to be stirred constantly.  It freed me up to do other things.


It took about 3 hours for it to cool completely in the jars.  After 2 hours in the fridge it was still pretty runny.  So I guess we'll see how it turns out in the morning. I'm excited to taste it!

*DISCLAIMER*
I didn't have any sugar free gelatin, so I used the regular kind.  And during this process I read somewhere that the sugar used in original jam recipes pulls out the juices from the strawberries.  So maybe I shouldn't have used so much water since I was using regular gelatin.  Trial and error I guess.  Tomorrow will reveal our results.


*UPDATE*
I checked the jam the next morning and it had firmed up.  And the taste result definitely passed the test.  I am pleased to say that I will be making this again!  :)

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. looks like you are having fun in your new kitchen! I love the picture of you and Rayelle at the end, she has the cutest smile :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Related Posts with Thumbnails