Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Puerto Rican Garbanzo Beans and Rice

Puerto Rican Garbanzo Beans and Rice

(don't judge me for the white rice, I usually feed my family brown rice but I needed to be extra quick tonight)

This is one of the most yummy beans and rice recipes I've enjoyed.
It's one of Matt's favorites.  And Rayelle even eats it when I make it.

It's a recipe that Matt's step-brother brought home from his mission in Dominica Republic.

I like this recipe because It is a super fast and easy dinner.

Beans and Rice:

2 cans garbanzo beans
3 TBSP Sofrito (recipe to follow)
2 packets Sazon - Goya Brand bright orange box (it's in the hispanic food section)
2 tsp. chicken bullion
3 cups hot rice

Start cooking rice (2 cups water to a boil, then add rice.  Cover with a lid for 20 minutes--no peeking!)  Meanwhile, put beans, sofrito, sazon, and bullion in sauce pan.  Cover and let simmer until rice is done.  Enjoy!

Sofrito:  (This makes a large amount, so freeze the unused in 3 TBSP. portions in snack size freezer bags.)

2 green peppers
1 large or 2 medium yellow or white onions, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped (not stems)
1-2 TBSP. olive oil

I throw it all in a blender/food processor and puree it.  It's just easier that way.  I even use the stems on the cilantro and it turns out great.  Then I put it in the freezer bags and lay them flat to freeze.  It seriously makes about a dozen bags.  


Then when I need a fast dinner I throw my rice in the rice steamer (I use brown rice).  I pull a bag of Sofrito out of the freezer and microwave it for 20 seconds.  Then toss it in the pan with everything else.  Cook it on med-low while the rice cooks.  Its all done at the same time and I don't have to anything.  Love it!

If you try this recipe let me know what you think!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love this dish. For storing sofrito, I either fill an ice tray with sofrito, cover the tray with a freezer zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. In this way, you can grab a cube of sofrito as needed. The other way I do it is by buying individual small size containers (cube size) and storing the sofrito in them in the freezer. When needed, I just grab a cube.I bought the small containers in The Dollar Tree. They come in a bag with 10-12 containers. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Related Posts with Thumbnails