Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mini Gluten Free Meals (part 1)

About a month ago now, we found out that Rayelle has some food allergies that interfere with her everyday eating habits.  When we found out I didn't panic or stress because I knew there were so many resources out there to help us get through this.
  

Her food allergies are:

Wheat / Gluten
Eggs
Peanuts
Bananas


I think the hardest one to deal with for her is bananas because everything else has an alternative.  But you just can fake eating a freshly peeled banana.  

But we have figured out some great meals that Rayelle can enjoy and still feel like she is getting a variety.  And at the very least, she is eating healthier than the rest of us since it's always safe for her to eat fruits and veggies, plain dairy, and meats.

So here are a few of the things I've been up to in helping Rayelle with her meals.  I found these great ideas at  Ring Around the Rosies.  It is a great blog that I am slightly obsessed with lately.


Mini Corndog Muffins

I used Bob's Red Mill cornbread mix.  And I used ground flaxseed and water as an egg replacement.  Works like a charm :)
I just made the recipe according to pkg directions, except for the egg part.  Then diced up a pkg of hotdogs and folded them in after I mixed the dough.  I lined two muffin pans with foil liners and filled each liner.  It was the perfect amount of mix for 2 dozen.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.



Mini Pizzas
  
I made these using Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix.  It tastes really yummy but it tastes like a muffin crust; so I don't know if it tastes any better that the gluten free Bisquick-type product would.   So I think I'll use the gf Bisquick next time to try it.  I think it's cheaper that way.

I made the crust according to pkg directions then smoothed some dough into the bottom of each muffin cup. I didn't use liners because of the oils.  Just make sur to spray your pan with cooking spray.  Them I put some spaghetti sauce, cheese, and mini pepperonis on top.  Baked them at 350 for 25 minutes.
Afterwards I thought I should have added mushrooms, peppers, and olives since she likes all that.  But oh well, next time :)


After the mini meals have cooled down completely, I put them in large freezer bags and popped them in the freezer.  Then I just pull one out for lunch or dinner and microwave for 1 minute.  Then it's ready for Rayelle to enjoy!


And for anyone interested in trying this "mini" cooking method for an older child or an adult, it might not work as great.  The portions are small but they work perfect for my toddler who is 2 years.
I did see that a  "jumbo" muffin pan is made.  I thought that will be a great way to go once Rayelle starts getting older and needs bigger portions.  Just so you know ;)


Be sure to check out "Mini Gluten Free Meals (part 2) with more recipes!   
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Related Posts with Thumbnails